in 1946, WW Gentry, Sr. started Gentry Steel, Inc. in his garage and back yard, after having worked in the steel industry for most of his career. Four years later, Gentry Steel moved to a location on Calhoun Avenue in Chattanooga, TN. As Gentry Steel continued to grow and expand, it moved to its current location in 1960.
As it grew, Gentry Steel became a family business, with sons Bud and Dan Gentry joining their father in the business in the early 1950’s and Fred joining in the late 1960’s. Dan was responsible for the sales and estimating and Bud ran the shop while also handling purchasing and administration. Upon Mr Gentry, Sr.’s retirement, Bud became the company president in 1970.
In 1974, WW Gentry, Sr. died. In 1972 Fred left the company and Dan retired in 2001. While Bud still remains the Chairman of the Board, long-time employee John Pearson is President and Chris Gentry is Vice President over the shop and purchasing.